Design has the power to tackle societal issues, create inclusive communities, and promote wellbeing. Through the lens of social and service design, we explore how systems and experiences can offer solutions to the needs of individuals, organisations, and society at large.
The power of asking the right questions.
Design has the power to tackle societal issues like growing polarization. In a world of polarising news, where fiction becomes facts, and where the truth, is often being claimed by the people who shout the loudest, we give the stage to the power of asking the right questions. Designers might just have an answer - they can bring out the question behind the question, and work with an open and empathetic attitude to get to the core of a challenge.
• Mariana Pestana | Architect, curator, and co-founder of The Decorators, a multidisciplinary design collective
• Bernhard Lenger | Studio Bernhard Lenger and member of The Social Design Lobby
• Nienke Huitinga | Maker of WINWIN: an interactive debate experience where an algorithm guides you through a conversation about a polarizing societal issue, to create consensus
• Maxime Benvenuto | Researcher and writer working at the cross-section of practice and theory: design research projects and design theory and history
• Fides Lapidaire | Social designer working on the Social Design Police programme
• Kimberly Bradley | Journalist, author, editor, and educator
09:30 | Doors open at Fifth, The Stage (NRE Terrein, Gasfabriek 5, Eindhoven)
10:00 | Start DDW Talks
13:00 | Start light lunch at Fifth
14:00 | End programme
Good to know:
- The DDW Talks include coffee and tea during the break and a light lunch
- The programme will be spoken in English
- Upon entry you need to show your 'Coronavirus Entry Pass'/'Coronatoegangsbewijs' + ID
About the partners
• Programme Partner: The Social Design Lobby
The Social Design Lobby is a bottom-up network in which social designers work together. It informs professionals from other sectors about social design by showing and providing insight into what it can mean in concrete terms. These professionals can be cooperation partners, suppliers, but also potential clients.
• Media Partner: nomad
nomad is a magazine that promotes issues concerning quality of life, sustainability and society by curating the ideas of a growing global creative community. Inspired by the forward-thinking approaches of creative visionaries, eco-pioneers, artists, authors, architects, entrepreneurs and designers worldwide, nomad magazine seeks out new perspectives to shape our local and global life towards a valuable future. In this sense, we are all nomads.