We look forward to welcoming you at DDW23. Visit our press page to see if you’re eligible for press accreditation and how to apply.
On a Mission
Designers are on a mission to offer tangible solutions to challenges. The biggest challenges happen on a global scale, but they need local solutions: from decorative solar panels to recycled wind farms and from calming interior designs to circular furniture.
Based on current goings on in the design community and in society, we have distilled several missions. Each participating project and some exhibitions have been assigned to the mission they feel closest to. Curious to dive deeper into these missions? These projects will get you started:
Achieving our equal society
To achieve equality in society, we must (re)design systems and interactions that value everyone. Safety, inclusiveness and connection are key here.
- Centre | Portray Me by International Creative Women
- Sectie-C | Dialogues of the Unheard by Fresh Grads
- Strijp-S | Intercommunal Collaborations by Zeynep Ugur
- Strijp-S | Design Beyond Vision by Boey Wang and Simon Dogger
- Strijp-S | Timeless Time by Maison the Faux by MU Hybrid Art House
Boosting our health & well-being
Designs that improve our quality of life and health – from the food we eat to healthcare and personal well-being.
- Centre | Design your MRI Experience (for kids) by Aniek Bartels & Philips Museum
- Canal | Silence is the presence of everything by Myubio Collective
- Canal | Objects for Wellbeing by Alissa+Nienke
- Strijp-S | Coping with Mechanisms by Giselle Dahm
- Other | Bra+ve by Fashion Tech Farm
Challenging our digital future
Explorations from virtual worlds to artificial intelligence and from global platforms to individual experiences.
- Strijp-S | MAINFRAME: Living Technology by Synthetic State
- Strijp-S | Dream. Discover. Design. by TU Delft - Industrial Design Engineering
- Strijp-S | GameChangers by Enversed
- Hallenweg | Cringe or Cool by Dogtooth
- Canal | Wave by Bart Hess
Creating our living environment
Designing our living environment, mobility and the materials we use to create them goes hand-in-hand with shaping our quality of life.
- Strijp-S | Mohjouba Motor by Mohjouba Initiative
- Strijp-S | What if Lab: Rethinking shared space by Sweco
- Centre | Everyday Paradise – Outsider Arts & Crafts co-curated by Lili Tedde en Lidewij Edelkoort
- Canal | Take it Flow by APTUM (door Tienke & Nathan)
- Sectie-C | Job’s Playground by Job van den Berg
Enabling our thriving planet
For a healthy planet, design must enhance the power of nature, or at the very least not stand in its way.
- Station | Icon Re/Outfitted by The Visionary Lab, Vitra & Levi’s
- Station | Réexister by Buliash Todaeva
- Centre | The Green Clean by Lunet
- Strijp T+R | The Language of Sustainability by Accenture Industry X & Industrial Design
- Strijp-S | Future > Factory > Furniture by Arco, CS Rugs, Gelderland, Lande Family, Label van den Berg, Leolux
World Design Embassies
Embassy of Circular and Biobased Building
With 'Possible Landscapes', the Embassy of Circular & Biobased Building explores a new green, regenerative economy. From land to structure, from crop to industry and from ideal to financially fair value system, what will the chain look like in the future?
Embassy of Food
Our food chain is in need of change: From improving biodiversity to the availability of healthy and nutritious food for all. This year's Embassy of Food focuses on 'The farm of the future'. If sustainability, animal welfare and health are the goals, what would that farm look like?
Embassy of Health
Health may be our most valuable commodity. With 'Health as currency', Embassy of Health explores the (re)valuation of health. How can we put our health before the economy? And how do we make putting our health first accessible to the whole of society?
Embassy of Inclusive Society
Inclusiveness is more than a ‘problem’ that needs to be ‘solved’. The Embassy of Inclusive Society is about breaking patterns, about 'Learning and Unlearning'. Through a spatial experiment, you can train and strengthen your own inclusivity muscle and develop new, more inclusive habits.
Embassy of Mobility
The Embassy of Mobility is about creating liveable cities collaboratively. People first! Starting from DDW as a living lab, the Embassy explores new proposals that make the transition towards cities for people tangible.
Embassy of Safety
Personnel shortages in the security domain, cohabitating with former prisoners, deciding how to use community service hours? Based on the theme 'Make Better', the Embassy of Safety shows examples and asks visitors to think and create.
Embassy of Water
Picture this: Water purification integrated into architecture. Used water poured into nature, cleaner and more vital than before. With 'Water-based', the Embassy of Water explores the future of regenerative housing in practice.
Image © Eindhoven Central Station - DDW22 - Max Kneefel